Medi-Cal Health Connections
Medi-Cal is a public health insurance program that offers eligible individuals and families access to free or low-cost health care coverage.
Beginning January 1, 2014 Medi-Cal will be expanded to also include adults between the ages of 19 - 64. Pre-enrollment begins October 1, 2013!
What if I Am Low-Income but not Eligible for Medi-Cal?
The Medi-Cal Health Connections staff is committed to helping all San Franciscans access the variety of low-cost health insurance programs available in our community.
Beginning October 2013 the Medi-Cal Health Connections staff will help those who are low income but not eligible to Medi-Cal to purchase affordable private health insurance offered by Covered California. To learn more about Covered California please visit:
You can also click on these links for other helpful resources.
- Healthy Kids Program Provides assistance for individuals up to the age of 19, whose family income ranges between the 250% and 300% FPL. Undocumented children of all income levels are encouraged to apply.
- AIM California's Insurance Program for mid-income pregnant women.
- Healthy San Francisco for single individuals with no health coverage.
How Do I Apply for Medi-Cal?
- You can apply online at https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/
- Apply over the phone or in person
Toll Free (855) 355-5757
1440 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You can also submit your application via mail or email
Human Services Agency
PO BOX 7988
San Francisco, CA 94120
What Happens After I Apply?
- Once your application is received and assessed for eligibility, you will receive a Notice of Action listing the eligibility of each individual in your household. If additional information is required to make a determination, a worker may contact you by mail or phone to request the needed information.
- If you do not understand your Notice of Action letter or do not agree with the listed information, you can contact our office. If you still disagree with the decision, you may file for a State Hearing by completing the back of your Notice of Action.
- Every eligible person in your household will receive a Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card (BIC). Take this card with you any time you see a health care provider.
- Most individuals eligible for full scope Medi-Cal are required to choose a health plan. For more information call the Health Care Options office (800) 430-4263.
What Services Does Medi-Cal Cover?
Medi-Cal coverage pays for medical visits, hospital care, prescription drugs, pregnancy-related treatment, dental and eye care, and other medical services. See a more detailed list of what Medi-Cal covers.
Are Dental Services Covered?
Some dental services are covered. Be sure to talk with your dentist to see what Medi-Cal covers before receiving treatment. See a list of Denti-Cal providers.
Is Medi-Cal Always Free?
Usually Medi-Cal is free, but not always. Some people are responsible for a certain share of their monthly medical costs. This "share of cost" is based on your income and family size. Medi-Cal pays medical expenses beyond the share of cost amount.