SFGov, the official site for San Francisco space
San Francisco header image

Human Services Agency of San Francisco
Department of Aging & Adult Services * Department of Human Services

print Print this page | Text size: small - large

CalWORKs is California's Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) program, which provides assistance for families in the form of cash aid, child care, food stamps (CalFresh), health care, transportation and other services to help families become self-supporting.

As a CalWORKs applicant child care is available to you at HSA drop-in playrooms during the times you meet with your intake worker and later attend orientation. Additionally, CalWORKs applicants may seek Diversion Services (One-time assistance service of cash and/or non-cash services, to an otherwise CalWORKs eligible family, when the County Welfare Department determines that such assistance will help the family avoid becoming CalWORKs cash aid recipients) and qualify for child care subsidies during the hours they are in work, school, or training. Ask your CalWORKs intake worker about Diversion.

If you already are a CalWORKs participant you may qualify for child care subsidies during the hours you are in work, training, or school as part of a Welfare to Work plan and/or other approved activities, as well as Emergency Back-up and Mildly Ill Child Care services through Family Support Services of the Bay Area. Emergency Back-up Care provides child care coverage when your regular provider is unavailable, and Mildly Ill Child Care provides child care coverage when your child cannot attend their regular provider because of a mild illness.

For more information, visit the CalWORKs page.


The Children's Council of San Francisco

445 Church Street
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415) 343-3300