Family Services

SFHSA Family and Children’s Services (FCS) provides child welfare services that promote safety, permanency, and well-being of children, youth, and families. 

Services offered by FCS and our partners

  • Report abuse: Report suspected cases of child abuse, neglect, and exploitation to the FCS 24- hour hotline.
  • TALK line for parents: Call the Safe & Sound’s TALK Line at (415) 441-KIDS or (415) 441-5437 for support, service referrals, or just to connect with a trained volunteer.
  • Urgent response for foster families: Call Family Urgent Response System (FURS) line at (833) 939-3877. FURS also provides mobile response teams of compassionate, trained professionals who offer face-to-face support during critical moments for current and former foster youth and their caregivers.
  • Seneca Mobile Response Team (MRT):  Families living within 90 miles of San Francisco who are involved in child welfare, and for foster youth in juvenile probation and their caregivers. Eligible families can call the statewide FURS number (above) and be connected to Seneca, or call Seneca directly at (877) 305-8989
  • Families with children at imminent risk of removal:  Contact Family Support Services or the Epiphany Center for intensive home-based care and support.
  • Substance abuse treatment to promote reunification: Family Treatment Court (FTC) is a voluntary, court-supervised program that promotes stable, long-term family reunification by helping parents address their substance abuse issues, improve their parenting skills, and access wraparound services. Email, or call (415) 551-5767.
  • Parent training support: The San Francisco Department of Public Health' The Parent Training Institute provides information and free resources for agencies and practitioners delivering evidence-based parenting, and for families seeking parenting support. Call (415) 255-3412.

Family Resource Centers (FRCs): The First 5 agency supports 26 FRCs across the City that are safe places for families to improve parenting skills. During COVID-19, FRCs remains open via telephone, email, and virtual programs to provide parenting support, information, referral, and connection for families.

Visit our Child Care webpage for information on free and affordable child care services in San Francisco. 

  • CalWORKs: HSA’s CalWORKs families receive cash assistance and services for employment, child care, food, health insurance, mental health, housing, education, and free diapers. Email or call (415) 557-5100.
  • Edgewood Kinship Support Network: Edgewood helps fill the gaps in public social services for kinship caregivers and the children they care for. Services include case management, parenting workshops, food, supplies, independent living skills, mental health referrals, and family activities. Email Hope Ivory at or call (415) 725-0765.
  • La Raza Community Resource Center: La Raza is a community agency that serves low-income Bay Area residents by providing referrals for free services for food, healthcare, immigration, case management, and parenting and women’s support. Email or call (415) 863-0764.
  • Seneca Family of Agencies: Seneca partners with mental health, child welfare, and juvenile justice departments across California to provide wraparound services focused on enhancing youth safety, permanency, and wellbeing for vulnerable youth and families. Call (510) 654-4004

  • Parents with kids or expecting: The Homeless Prenatal Program provides housing case management, limited financial assistance, and help with finding safe housing to those who have children or are pregnant. Contact the program.
  • Young adults ages 18-24: The City’s Coordinated Entry for Youth determines housing eligibility, problem solves, and provides referrals for youth experiencing homelessness. The program is operated by Larkin Street Youth Services and Huckleberry Youth in partnership with local service organizations. See service contacts for youth and families.
  • CalWORKs Housing Support: Offers financial assistance and rental assistance, security deposits, utility payments, moving costs, hotel and motel vouchers, landlord recruitment, case management, housing outreach and placement, legal services, and credit repair. Call CalWORKs at (415) 557-5100.

Have concerns or complaints regarding FCS? 

The Ombudsperson is an independent facilitator who helps address your concerns or complaints with FCS regarding visitation, placement, your protective services worker, reimbursement, request for services, and more. 

Note: The Ombudsperson is not an FCS employee or part of the legal system, and does not investigate alleged child abuse. 

Contact us 
Before contacting the Ombudsperson, please discuss your concerns with your FCS worker and their supervisor at (415) 557-5000.
If you are still dissatisfied after speaking to them, contact the Ombudsperson at (415) 558-2828 or by email, Please provide your name, phone number, name of your protective services worker, your child's name, and the best time to contact you. 

Did you find what you were looking for?