Pandemic EBT (P-EBT)
P-EBT is a federal assistance program that helps make up for free or reduced-price meals children may have missed because of COVID.
The state has approved P-EBT 3.0, which provides P-EBT benefits for the 2021-2022 school year and summer. Benefits will be issued starting in October 2022 for young children and in November 2022 for school-age children. The benefit amounts will be available soon. For all P-EBT updates and details, visit the state website's P-EBT Frequently Asked Questions.
Who is eligible
- Young children under age 6 who were in a household getting CalFresh food benefits for the 2021-22 school year.
- School-age children who were:
- Eligible for free/reduced priced meals during SY 2021-22 or Summer 2022.
- Enrolled in a school participating in the National School Lunch Program/School Breakfast Program or a Provision school during SY 2021-22.
- Did not attend school in-person because of COVID-19 during SY 2021-22. This includes students who were enrolled in Independent Study, California’s version of virtual learning, as well as students who had five or more excused absences in any given month.
How to get P-EBT
You do not need to apply for P-EBT. A card will be automatically mailed to each eligible child.
When you get P-EBT
- You will not put your immigration status at risk by using P-EBT food benefits.
- Use the P-EBT card in the same places that take CalFresh: grocery stores, farmers markets, Amazon, or other online retailers.
- Don’t throw your P-EBT card away. Cards are automatically reloaded with new benefits as they come become available.
- Check the P-EBT benefits expiration date and be sure to use your card at least once a year to ensure you don't miss out on any food.
Need help with your card?
You’ll need to set up a PIN to use your new card. Follow the instructions that come with the card. If you need assistance with your PIN or to replace a card, call the P-EBT Helpline at (877) 328-9677, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
SFHSA partner resources
Visit the state partner resources webpage for the fact sheet, social media posts, flyer, robocall script, and text script. All are available in multiple languages.