WIC is federally funded and administered through the San Francisco Department of Public Health (DPH) to provide valuable benefits for families with children, including:
- Food assistance: WIC provides an average of $62 per person per month for purchasing healthy food. Pregnant participants can receive another $40 per month in EatSF fruit and vegetable vouchers.
- Infant Nutrition: Families receive support with infant nutrition including free breastfeeding support from lactation consultants, breast pumps and infant formula.
WIC is available to the following applicants based on income:
- Pregnant and new mothers
- Infants and children ages 0 to 5 who are at nutritional risk
- Fathers, grandparents, immigrants, and foster parents of young children
- Families with a parent or children who receive Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, or CalFresh may automatically qualify for WIC.
How to apply for WIC
More benefits for WIC recipients
As a WIC recipient, you may qualify for health, employment, and hundreds of dollars worth of food benefits per month, including:
- Food assistance in addition to your WIC benefits. Based on household income, CalFresh benefits could provide as much as $740 per month for a family of three and $939 for a family of four.
- Free diapers for households with children under the age of three from the San Francisco Diaper Bank. Learn more.
- Medi-Cal health coverage, includes other coverage options if you don’t qualify for Medi-Cal
- CalWORKS employment assistance, includes child care, free diapers, and other services