IHSS Care Recipient Get Urgent Care & More Information


On-Call urgent care

The On-Call program provides short-term, immediate personal care services if:

  • You are being discharged from a hospital or another facility without anyone at home to help.
  • Your regular Care Provider is unavailable.
  • You have not yet hired a Care Provider.
  • You have a need for personal care that can't wait until the next scheduled provider visit.

Request On-Call service:

  • During business hours call your social worker who will send a referral to the Public Authority. A counselor will call you, assess your needs, and assign you an On-Call provider.  (For your social worker's phone number, call (415) 355-6700.) 
  • After 5:30 p.m., and on holidays and weekends, call (415) 243-4477

State hearings

If you disagree with a decision regarding your IHSS services, you have the right to a state hearing and to bring an authorized representative to the hearing.

Request a hearing
Fill out and submit the State Fair Hearing section on the back of your Notice-of-Action (the letter you received from IHSS about your services).

Call the Appeals Unit at (415) 503-4900 for:

  • The date of your hearing
  • The status of your appeal or if you are eligible for Aid Paid Pending
  • Withdrawing your request for a hearing

Learn more from the California Department of Social Services.


Abuse & fraud

Report abuse of an IHSS Care Recipient or Care Provider
Call 9-1-1 or Adult Protective Services (24 hours) at (415) 355-6700

Report fraud
Call (415) 557-5771 if you suspect:

  • Forging of signatures on paper timesheets
  • Claiming hours that the Care Provider did not work
  • Claiming hours when a Care Recipient or Care Provider is in the hospital or left the state
  • Splitting checks by a Care Provider and Care Recipient


More resources

Senior and Disability Action advocates for older adults and persons with disabilities.