Starting January 1, 2022, many Medi-Cal members can fill their prescriptions through Medi-Cal Rx-fee-for service pharmacies. This means that Medi-Cal members will have access to a broader network of pharmacies with no change to their eligibility benefits. The fee-for-service network includes pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS, Safeway, and many more.
How to use Rx fee-for-service pharmacies
1) Find a pharmacy
Almost all pharmacies in California are part of the RX network. This means you probably do not need to find a new pharmacy. But if you would like to see all RX pharmacies near you, please use the pharmacy locator on Medi-CalRx.dhcs.ca.gov.
If you have other Medi-Cal Rx questions, you can register with the Medi-Cal Rx Beneficiary Portal, where you can email, chat online, or text message about confidential health information in a secure way.
You also call any of the numbers listed below:
- Medi-Cal Rx Customer Service Center at (800) 977-2273, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- 7-1-1 for TTY, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
- SFHSA Medi-Cal Service Center at (415) 558-4700, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
2) Show your Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card (BIC) at the pharmacy
You’ll need your Medi-Cal card to pick up your prescription. You can use the one you already have. It never expires.
Need to request a new Medi-Cal card?
If your BIC is lost or stolen, you can request a replacement in one of these ways below.
- Email: SFMedi-Cal@sfgov.org
- Online: MyBenefitsCalWIN (if you have a registered account) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Call: (877) 558-9009 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The phone recording will ask you to answer several simple questions before placing your order for a BIC replacement. NOTE: Be sure to have your Social Security number and case number ready. If you do not have a Social Security number and do not know your case number, you can call (415) 558-4700, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
- In-person: To keep you safe, we offer limited on-site support during COVID. If possible, please make your request by phone or online rather than at one of our Service Centers: