Home > Our Services > Jobs + Money > CalWORKs > CalWORKs Benefits

CalWORKs Benefits

CalWORKs recipients automatically qualify for assistance and its various services based on participation in the program.  These services include cash, food, health care, child care, family planning, and money management advice. Participating families may also receive:

  • Financial support for up to 48 months, accessible using an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which can be used at various surcharge free ATMs throughout San Francisco. See a list of surcharge free banks in California.
  • Free or subsidized child care services
  • Refugee cash assistance and assistance to noncitizen victims of trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes
  • Job placement, training, employment counseling, and access to our JobsNOW! program
  • Education and support for GED, ESL, and High School Diploma
  • CalFresh food assistance
  • Health insurance through Medi-Cal
  • Transportation allowance
  • Money for uniforms, books, or other employment support
  • Housing for homeless families and assistance for move-in cost of securing a new residence
  • Money to help prevent eviction
  • Counseling for mental health, substance abuse, and domestic violence issues
  • Access to Cal-Learn, a program for parenting or pregnant teens that promotes positive parenting, healthy lifestyles, and school attendance
  • Free diapers through the San Francisco Diaper Bank

The amount of a family's monthly cash assistance payment depends on a number of factors, including the family's income, the number of eligible people, and the special needs of those family members. Our staff will review these factors with you and answer any questions you may have.

Work Requirements

With certain exceptions, all family members who are 18 years of age or older and on CalWORKs must work or participate in an activity through the CalWORKs Welfare to Work employment program. An Employment Specialist will work with you to follow an individualized employment plan. Even after you have found a job, you may be able to receive other services, such as help paying for child care that will help you stay employed and move to better-paying work.

Learn How to Apply