HSA Coronavirus Updates COVID-19 Relief Payments

Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants

The state is providing the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants. This one-time payment of $500 for individuals and $1,000 per household is available to undocumented immigrants who do not qualify for most other forms of pandemic assistance due to their immigration status.

State-funded nonprofit organizations that serve immigrants will conduct outreach, provide application assistance, and distribute the payments. Catholic Charities is administering this program for the Bay Area. 

How to apply: Visit the Catholic Charities website to apply starting on May 18. Note: Funding is limited and considered on a first-come, first-served basis until June 30, 2020.

IRS economic impact (stimulus) payments

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is issuing stimulus payments to eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns in 2018 and 2019 and for most older adults and retirees. Stimulus payments are as much as $1,200 per individual or head of household filer and $2,400 per married couple filing jointly.

HSA benefit recipients should note the following: 

  • The federal stimulus payment does NOT count towards your total income. This means it will NOT impact your eligibility for benefits.
  • The HSA CAAP program does NOT disperse stimulus payments to CAAP recipients. The IRS is responsible for issuing payments.  

Eligible stimulus recipients are tax filers at the qualifying income levels, in addition to those who:

  • Receive Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability benefits (these recipients can also get an additional $500 per qualifying child)
  • Receive Social Security Income (SSI) and veteran benefits as their sole source of income
  • Do not make enough to file a tax return
  • Have no income

View eligibility details on income levels and qualifying categories.

How to get your payment

  • For tax filers: The IRS will automatically issue your payment using whatever payment method you provided in your 2018 or 2019 tax filing.
  • For non-tax filers: You will need to provide payment information to the IRS.

View the IRS Economic Impact Payments page on how to provide or update your payment information and track your payment status.