WIC is federally funded and administered through the San Francisco Department of Public Health (DPH) to provide valuable benefits for families with children, including:
- Food assistance: WIC provides an average of $62 per person per month for purchasing healthy food. Pregnant participants can receive another $40 per month in EatSF fruit and vegetable vouchers.
- Infant Nutrition: Families receive support with infant nutrition including free breastfeeding support from lactation consultants, breast pumps and infant formula.
WIC is available to the following applicants based on income:
- Pregnant and new mothers
- Infants and children ages 0 to 5 who are at nutritional risk
- Fathers, grandparents, immigrants, and foster parents of young children
- Families with a parent or children who receive Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, or CalFresh may automatically qualify for WIC.
How to apply for WIC
You can start your application now online. DPH will contact you to set up an appointment. Need application assistance? Call (628) 217-6890.
More benefits for WIC recipients
As a WIC recipient, you may qualify for health, employment, and hundreds of dollars worth of food benefits per month, including:
- Food assistance in addition to your WIC benefits. Based on household income, CalFresh benefits could provide as much as $740 per month for a family of three and $939 for a family of four.
- Free diapers for households with children under the age of three from the San Francisco Diaper Bank. Learn more.
- Medi-Cal health coverage, includes other coverage options if you don’t qualify for Medi-Cal
- CalWORKS employment assistance, includes child care, free diapers, and other services