Free Tax Help File Your Taxes for Free
October 16, 2023: Filing deadline for 2022 tax returns.
Our nonprofit partners make it easy to safely and securely file your taxes for free using online tools or in-person service options. Free tax services save you an average of $300 on tax preparation and help you claim tax credits for as much as:
- $250 from the San Francisco Working Families Credit (WFC)
- $9,600 from federal and state Earned Income Tax Credit
- $4,600 from state and federal child tax credits
NOTE: Tax credits do not count as income and they do not affect your eligibility for benefits like CalWORKs, CalFresh, or disability.
Where to get free tax help
These free tax services partner with VITA, an IRS program that certifies tax experts to complete your taxes. Services are available in-person, via document drop off, or conducted remotely using online tools.
- Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA): MEDA also assists with obtaining a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). For an appointment, call (415) 209-5143.
- Arriba Juntos: For an appointment, call (415) 487-3240.
- GetYourRefund: Submit tax information online. IRS-certified volunteers prepare your tax return and review it with you before filing.
- MyFreeTaxes: Get online or in-person tax help for free from a certified volunteer preparer.
- More free tax services:
- Tax preparation sites: View map of local sites and types of service, such as in-person, document drop off, and do-it-yourself (DIY) assistance.
- SF Tax-Aide: Get free, in-person tax help at three locations. This service is provided by the AARP Foundation, which focuses on taxpayers who are over 50 and have low to moderate income. Call for appointment (415) 656-8515.
Do-it-yourself, free tax filing if you earned under $73,000 in 2022
- IRS Free File: A partnership between the IRS and commercial tax preparers that provides free online tax filing.