Home > Our Services > Jobs + Money > CalWORKs > Applying for CalWORKs

Applying for CalWORKs

CalWORKs provides temporary assistance and support to families with (or expecting) children. Benefits include cash assistance, food, child care, and health care coverage. CalWORKs also provides job and education assistance and other services, even after leaving the program.


You may be eligible for CalWORKs If you are an adult with dependent children or who is pregnant. Eligibility is also based on several factors, including family size, income, property, and special needs. View our Fact Sheet for specific eligibility requirements.

Immigrants and their families may also be eligible for CalWORKs and other benefit programs. Learn more. 

How to apply 

While our service centers remain closed, you will need to apply in one of these ways:

What to expect after applying

An Eligibility Worker will interview you by phone and may ask you to provide:

  • Proof of income and property
  • Information regarding citizenship status and residence. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to apply. Learn more.
  • Social Security number
  • Work or school status

Let us know right away if your family has urgent housing, food, utilities, clothing, or medical needs. You may qualify for immediate short-term help. 


If you have questions or would like more information, please call our Service Center at (415) 557-5100 or 1-855-557-5100. You can also email CalWORKs@sfgov.org.

Additional Information

If you have a disability and need help to apply, we may be able to arrange for other assistance specific to your needs. Call our Service Center to request special assistance. If you are already receiving benefits and would like to request special assistance, please contact your Eligibility Worker or Employment Specialist.