IHSS Recipient Become an IHSS Recipient
Meet eligibility criteria
- Live at home or in a shelter, but not in a board and care facility, nursing home, or hospital.
- Receive Medi-Cal or qualify for Medi-Cal.
- Demonstrate a need for help with activities of daily living.
Apply in one of the following ways:
- Call (415) 355-6700.
- Fax or mail the completed IHSS Referral form by following the instructions on the form. If a friend, family member, or other representative fills out the form for you, they will need to submit a signed Authorization for Release of Information form with the application.
- Refer online through SFGetCare.org only if you are a community provider or discharge planner.
Once your application is reviewed, you must qualify for Medi-Cal. If you already receive SSI and/or Medi-Cal, skip to Step 4.
Qualify for Medi-Cal
- Expect an eligibility worker to contact you to schedule an interview.
- Plan for this interview to take up to 90 minutes and to show proof of income and resources (bank statements).
Get assessed by a social worker
- Once your Medi-Cal is established, expect an IHSS social worker to contact you about scheduling an appointment to assess your ability to perform activities of daily living. You may be asked to perform or describe simple tasks, such as range-of-motion demonstrations.
- You may also be asked for a list of your prescribed medications and doctors’ information.
- IMPORTANT COVID-19 NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have modified the assessment process to keep you safe:
- Assessments will temporarily occur on a video or phone call. We will conduct home visits if an applicant cannot participate in a video or phone assessment.
- Paperwork will be mailed to you and must be returned within 60 days of your video or phone assessment.
Submit the Health Care Certification Form SOC 873
- Ask a licensed medical professional to verify your need for IHSS by filling out Form SOC 873. NOTE: A licensed medical professional is prohibited from charging a fee for the completion of this certification form. Learn more.
If approved, IHSS will tell you the types of services, start date, and the number of IHSS hours per month that have been authorized for you. If denied services, you can appeal the decision at the state level.
- Client Information System allows you to look up your IHSS case status and social worker.
- IHSS Consumer Training Handbook
- IHSS Fact Sheets
Not eligible for IHSS? Find out about other options for in-home services by visiting:
Hire an IHSS Provider