Shelter is now available for unhoused individuals without dependents in San Francisco applying for cash assistance. Please call (415) 558-2227 if you are interested in shelter.
County Adult Assistance Programs (CAAP) Apply for CAAP
Changes to the CAAP application process during COVID-19:
- Service Centers offer limited assistance: You can still apply online by following the steps below. For application assistance, call (415) 558-CAAP (415-558-2227) or fax (415) 558 4104.
- Waiting period: There is no waiting period to apply for CAAP if you have lost employment due to COVID-19.
How to apply
Check your eligibility
- San Francisco residency
- Net income of under $687 per month
- Personal property limit of $2,000 per single adult or $3,000 per couple
- Vehicle ownership limited to one vehicle
- Student status limited to an associate degree program (two-year college) or vocational school
- Must be receiving CalFresh and Medi-Cal. If not, your application for both will be automatically included with your online CAAP application.
Unsure about your eligibility? Find out more by using our new Check My Eligibility tool.
- Visit MyBenefits CalWIN and use our step-by-step guide for completing the online process. If eligible, you will be contacted by a worker to schedule the Initial Intake interview by phone.
- Before your interview, view the orientation video (English | Español | 中文 | русский | Filipino | Tiếng Việt).
- Attend a phone interview for the Initial Intake. If eligible, you can receive your benefits as soon as the next day.
- Your intake worker will send you documents to sign and mail, email, fax or drop off.
- You may also need to submit income and/or residency verification to continue receiving aid. You'll have up to one month (after the application due date) to submit required documents by mail, fax, email or drop off at our location at 1235 Mission Street.
Disagree with the eligibility decision?
You can request a CAAP Fair Hearing by calling (415) 558-1177.