Home > Our Services > Health + Food > CalFresh > Keeping CalFresh

CalFresh Work Rules

Some CalFresh recipients in San Francisco are now required to meet federal work requirements. The rules apply to anyone receiving CalFresh between the ages of 18-49 who does not have a child living in the home. Learn more.

In response to COVID-19: The CalFresh ABAWD (Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents) Program has many different activities that can be completed virtually and/or safely in-person in order to meet your work activity requirements. Your employment specialist will work with you to determine what activities safely fit your needs.  A statewide work requirement waiver is in place through June 30, 2021.

Regular Reporting

Semi-Annual Report (SAR 7) and Annual Recertification

Effective November 1, 2020: The County has a SAR-7 requirement to maintain benefits. Most households have this report due 6 months after the initial or renewal application.  Recertification interviews are waived through December 31,2021 or sooner if the public health emergency ends. The County may still contact you if information is incomplete. Due to a signature waiver, the County can gather your recertification application over the phone. A face-to-face interview waiver means that those without a phone can come into a County lobby to use a phone to contact one of our staff during business hours.

Income Change Reporting

Between regular reports, households are required to report when their household income exceeds their Income Reporting Threshold (IRT) and will need to submit proof, such as a pay stub or award letter, within 10 days of the increase. Your worker will tell you what your specific IRT is. Contact our staff at (415) 558-4700 for assistance if your income has exceeded your IRT, or you may be required to pay back benefits that you were given in error.

Households may also report, during the certification period, any change that could increase benefits, such as a job loss or increased shelter expenses.

Account Maintenance

Create an online account through MyBenefitsCalWIN to easily update your contact information, complete reports, apply for benefits, check your EBT balance, and receive notices online. If you receive CalFresh and your address or phone number has changed, please update your contact information through MyBenefitsCalWIN or call the CalFresh Service Center at (415) 558-4700.