Home > Our Services > Food > CalFresh > Applying for CalFresh > Checking Your Eligibility

Checking Your Eligibility

Who is eligible for CalFresh

Want to check your CalFresh eligibility in less than five minutes?  Answer just 10 simple questions from our partner mRelief.com.

Who must be included in the application

  • Anyone who purchases and prepares meals together
  • Everyone living at the address, such as husbands, wives, parents, and children under age 22

How benefit amounts are determined

Your benefit amount is based on your gross monthly income (below) and household size minus monthly expenses such as: 

  • Child support payments
  • Childcare expenses
  • Medical expenses if your household has at least one member who is age 60 or older or has a disability
  • Rent or mortgage
  • Utility and phone expenses

Household resources exempt from your application requirements include investments, property ownership, and bank accounts.  However, any income generated from resources will count as part of your household’s total gross income.

A household with an older adult or federally disabled persons can call us for more details, call (415) 558-4700

CalFresh Gross Monthly Income Requirements

Household size1234567
Starting 10/01/2022$2,266$3,052$3,840$4,626$5,412$6,200$6,986

Maximum benefit allotments

Each year, the maximum allowable benefit is adjusted based on the cost of living (COLA) increase explained in table below. For more information, see the CalFresh Maximum Allotment flyer.

Household size1234567
10/01/2022 to 09/30/2023$281$516$740$939$1116$1,339$1,480

Expedited Service

Some households may receive food assistance within three business days after submitting an application. To qualify, you must provide identification and meet all other CalFresh requirements plus one of the following: 

  • Your household makes less than $150 in monthly income and has less than $100 on hand right now.
  • Your household's combined monthly income and money on hand are less than your household's combined monthly rent and utilities.
  • You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker and have less than $100 on hand right now.

Call (415) 558-4700 to request Expedited Services.